Monday 27 August 2007

Chocolate and Ginger Cake


Having moaned about the lack of good chocolate cake on offer, I thought I would make one myself. Here's the chocolate and ginger cake I made to take to a friend's for dinner. It turned out to be much better than I anticipated. Even my husband, the one with the severe soya aversion, ate it and loved it. He said it tasted nothing like the usual gluten and dairy-free cakes you can buy which have the consistency of 'plaster of Paris'. High praise indeed, especially from a doctor.

Serves 8
140g of dairy-free margarine
140g of golden caster sugar (though any kind of caster sugar will do)
80g of ground almonds
2 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon of baking powder
100g of gluten-free baking flour
2 tablespoons of dairy-free cocoa powder
4 globes of preserved ginger, chopped
100g of dark chocolate, grated (I used Green & Black's)
pinch of salt

Heat the oven to 180C/350F.
Cream the sugar and margarine until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs, flour, salt and almonds and mix briefly. Then add the baking powder, salt, chocolate and cocoa powder. When mixed, add the chopped ginger.
Pour into a greased and lined 7inch tin and bake for 30 to 35 minutes. And that's it. Easy.

No comments: