Friday 24 August 2007

Wedding Cake


When you have food intolerances or allergies, you get used to eating food that anyone else would consider odd or simply unpalatable. The list is unfortunately very long. My husband will leave the room if I wheel out any kind of soya milk. He hates the smell. And when I say hate, I really do mean hate. As a man who is not afraid of anything on a menu, including raw meat, his soya aversion runs deep. I, on the other hand, am in heaven because I can have a milky coffee like the old pre-intolerance days. And I can have ice cream.
So when it came to finding a cake for our wedding I was loathe to inflict a dairy and gluten-free cake on my guests. Knowing how much my husband (and for that matter 99% of our guests) love a proper chocolate liable to give you heart failure at 50 paces, I knew that I would be eating my 'special' cakes alone. To compensate for the low enjoyment factor built into many allergen-free products, I went for visual impact: ribbons, flowers and pink glass cake stand. And the little white cakes even passed the husband test.
The cakes came from the beautifully named Phoebe Rose Cakes.
http://www.phoeberose.co.uk/

No comments: